Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cookie Pretzel Peanut Clusters

From Simple and Delicious (Aug./Sept. 2010), page 55.

Prep: 15 min. + standing
Yield: 7-8 dozen
My Cub Scouts literally devoured these and kept asking for more, so I guess they're a hit with the kids!

1 1/4 lbs. white candy coating, coarsely chopped
3 cups pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts
14 Oreos, broken into chunks

Melt candy coating in a large glass bowl in the microwave; stir until smooth.  Stir in the pretzels, peanuts, and cookies.

Drop by tablespoonfuls into miniature paper liners or onto waxed paper.  Let stand until set.  Store in an airtight container.

Nutrition Facts (for 8 dozen):
1 piece = 58 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiver, 1 g protein

Notes:
- I'm not sure if it was because my peanuts were old or stale or something, but I didn't really like them in this recipe.  Next time I'd consider omitting them or replacing them with something else (cashews, Chex, cheerios, almonds, etc.).  Or maybe I'd use some that I knew were "fresh."
- Fourteen Oreos?  Ha!  I used at least 20!
- The packaging for the candy coating should give you melting instructions, but usually you start at a minute, stir, and then continue microwaving in 30-second intervals.
- I'm thinking that Mint Oreos would be really good in this.  Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...