Thursday, November 13, 2008

Riskrem

Riskrem (pronounced "rees-krehm") is basically what it sounds like: a rice cream dessert.  But's not rice pudding.  By custom, Norwegian families would take a bowl of riskrem to the barn on Christmas Eve and leave it out for the Fjøsnisse (sometimes referred to simply as nisse or nissen), the guardian of the home and farm.  It's wise to remember him because he can be kind of a trickster, and if you really anger him, you may find your crops have gone bad.

Traditionally in Norway, one whole almond is hidden in the batch of riskrem.  Whoever finds the almond in his or her dish receives a yummy prize of a marzipan candy shaped like a pig, though in my family the prize was typically some See's candy or Smil (a Norwegian candy similar to Rolos).  Sadly, I'm the only one who's crazy about marzipan, so the pig is never an option.

My family has had this dessert every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember.  My dad served in Norway as a missionary for our church, as did my grandpa and both of my dad's brothers (strange coincidence, as our missionaries do not choose where they'll go).  Plus, we are part Norwegian (and Danish and just about everything else in Europe, though more than any other single nationality, we are Icelandic--my great-grandmother was a full Icelander).  So this dessert is really part of our heritage.

My dad eats riskrem by the bowlful; he loves it that much.  While I was growing up, I'd slowly make my way through it until somebody found the almond, and then I'd stop.  But over the last few years, I've gained a new appreciation of it.  Could I eat a batch by myself?  No.  But I can safely say that I enjoy it now.
3/4 cup medium or short grained rice
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 pint cream
Pinch of salt
Berry syrup (recommended: strawberry, boysenberry, or raspberry)
1 almond

Cook rice, milk, and salt covered in a double boiler over low heat, stirring occasionally, until nearly all the milk is absorbed (approximately 1 1/2 hrs).

Remove from heat and stir in sugar and almond extract, then cool in refrigerator until cold (overnight is best).

Gently fluff rice with a fork.  Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold into rice mixture.

Serve with a little berry syrup poured over the top.

Notes:
- In Norway an almond is placed into the Ris Krem just before it is served; the lucky person who finds the almond in his or her bowl gets a prize,  traditionally a piece of marzipan candy in the shape of a pig.
- This is a very rich dessert, so a little goes a long way.
- Don't allow your rice mixture to sit too long in the fridge before adding the whipped cream or it won't be a soft as it should be (the mistake I made for the batch pictured here--it was a couple days before I got around to whipping the cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...